3 Wellness Tips to Improve Self-Care
Self-care has become a buzzword in recent years, but what does it really look like? There’s nothing wrong with face masks and bubble baths, but there’s a lot more to self-care than spa days. Caring for yourself isn’t just about surface-level treatments; it requires a deeper level of investment in your overall well-being—both mentally and physically.
If you want to dive headfirst into self-care, try these three wellness tips!
#1 Prioritize Your Own Needs
In a world of seemingly endless demands, you may feel burnt out more often than not. True self-care means you’re able to understand your own needs. This can be challenging when you have a tight schedule, stressful job, or loved ones that need your attention, but it’s necessary, nonetheless.
To start prioritizing your needs above your need to be liked, try implementing some of these small acts into your daily routine:
- Learn to say no – When you really think about it, how often do you tell people no? Humans are natural people-pleasers, but sometimes prioritizing your own needs means getting friendly with this taboo response. The next time you’re asked to do something that you don’t have the capacity for, just say no. See how liberating it feels!
- Spend time alone – Everyone needs some alone time. Spending even an hour each day by yourself builds emotional strength, boosts creativity, and helps with processing thoughts. If you’re feeling like you need some quality time with yourself, try spending the afternoon in a coffee shop or museum you love, or simply the next room over.
- Don’t restrict yourself – Self-care means listening to your body. Healthy habits are important but being restrictive can have negative effects on your mental and physical health. Eat if you’re hungry, sleep if you’re tired, and shut your laptop if you’re feeling overwhelmed. Remember that you are the best judge of your needs!
Self-Care Resource: Sometimes, you have to write out your feelings to fully understand them. Get a better grip on your personal needs by using a self-care journaling app, like Reflectly!
#2 Get Better Sleep
Our society has deemed sleep unimportant for all the wrong reasons. The philosophy of I’ll sleep when I’m dead is actually counterproductive to living a healthy life.
An irregular sleep schedule can wreak havoc on your well-being, and cause issues such as:
- Increased levels of cortisol (the hormone that causes stress)
These problems can take a toll on your mental and physical well-being, so if you’re feeling the effects, it’s time to make sleep a top priority. To improve your sleep schedule, you’ll want to carefully examine your nighttime routine. Evening electronic use, late-night meals, and exercising too close to bedtime should be the first things you nix.
Instead, try implementing these sleep-friendly techniques:
- Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day
- Reading before bed (think paperback, not Paperwhite kindle screen)
- Sleeping in a cool, dark room
Self-Care Resource: CBD has snooze-promoting properties that may be game-changers for sleep-challenged individuals. For a fast-acting solution, pick up a well-made CBD vape kit that includes everything first-time users will need!
#3 Treat Yourself
Okay, sometimes self-care is about face masks and bubble baths, but those activities aren’t everyone’s cup of tea (maybe an actual cup of tea is, though).
Treating yourself to the things you love is crucial to proper self-care. If life was simply a never-ending to-do list, nobody would be very happy. Try incorporating small acts of self-love into your daily routine, such as:
- Cooking your favorite meal (or order takeout if cooking isn’t your specialty)
- Reading a book or watching a movie you love
- Giving yourself a massage with handheld tools
- Taking a day trip to a place you love, like your favorite seaside escape
- Taking a warm bath
Self-Care Resource: If the massage idea caught your eye, you may want to invest in a quality self-massager for maximum relaxation. You deserve it for all the hard work you do!
Make Time for Self-Care
Incorporating proper self-care requires breaking away from the everyday demands of your work schedule, regular routine, and endless list of duties and responsibilities. But doing so will make your busy life easier in the long run! With these helpful tips, you’ll be on your way to improved health and wellness in no time. Good luck!